Bond & Financial Products Underwriting
Are you searching for a challenging and stimulating career with many opportunities for growth? Have you thought about becoming an underwriter? At Travelers, our underwriters are at the heart of what we do – managing profitable portfolios of business while building strategic relationships with agents, brokers and clients.
Consider joining our Bond & Financial Products Underwriting Development Program, which provides the opportunity to build a unique and successful career through the underwriting and marketing of our Surety and Management Liability insurance products. Underwriting requires a dynamic blend of analytical, selling, interpersonal and marketing skills. At Travelers, our underwriters are responsible for gathering and analyzing pertinent information in order to evaluate the acceptability of business and institutional risk. But they are more than just analysts. Underwriters must also possess strong interpersonal skills, allowing them to build relationships that help Travelers maintain our profitable portfolios of business.
Our Bond & Financial Products Underwriting Development Program provides participants with the foundational knowledge and skills needed to become successful Management Liability or Surety underwriters. The program consists of three blended components:
- On-the-job training: Program participants are immediately immersed in the day-to-day dynamics of underwriting. With guidance from a mentor, participants learn the basics of underwriting new and renewal business and can participate in local agency visits. Self-study materials about our insurance products, strategies and procedures are also provided.
- Classroom instruction: Throughout the program, participants attend a variety of underwriting training sessions involving case studies and account reviews. They also take part in professional development courses, including Professional Selling Skills. During this time, participants are provided the opportunity to interact directly with the Bond & Financial Products leadership team in Hartford, Conn.
- Independent experience: Having gained a solid underwriting foundation, participants begin to work more independently on their designated accounts and book of business within their assigned region. Participants must utilize decision-making and analytical skills to evaluate new business, build relationships with agents and appropriately price accounts. They also have the opportunity to collaborate and collectively review accounts with peers and managers across the country.
- Undergraduate degree with a preferred GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Strong analytical skills, including an aptitude for financial analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Willing to travel within assigned region
- Current/valid driver’s license
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
Positions are available in various offices across the United States.
How to Apply or back to Development Programs
Travelers offers a wide range of career opportunities in North America and Europe.
Click on a link below to explore our current openings and discover a career at Travelers.