Senior Development Underwriter
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities.
Travelers is hiring a Senior Development Underwriter for our office in Birmingham. This position is responsible for developing professional risks business with our appointed broker panel in the region.
- Adhering to the principles of any Travelers Professional Risks Limited (TPRL) Underwriting Guides for and on behalf of Travelers Insurance Company Limited (TICL).
- Underwriting, servicing and managing professional indemnity and directors and officers accounts within Travelers Professional Risks Limited (TPRL) for and on behalf of Travelers Insurance Company Limited (TICL).
- Communicating and negotiating with brokers and solicitors to obtain supplementary underwriting information to assess risks, and to analyse and interpret coverage and to explain underwriting decisions, requirements and philosophy.
- Represent TPRL within the broking community and establish strong broking support for our business. Managing broker relationships in accordance with TPRL and TICL broker relationship management programmes.
- Ensuring that all business written within your business area is within the gross and net capacity agreed each year in the structure of our ceded reinsurance programme.
- You are authorised to quote the following risks:
- Solicitors,New Business and Renewals Up to £50,000 premium. LOI £5,000,000, 20% Level.
- 3 System Referral sign-off.
- Scriptor - New Business and Renewals Up to £25,000 premium. All other professions up to £10,000 premium, LOI £2,000,000, 15% u/w discount all professions - Level 3 System Referral sign-off excluding Surveyors risks.
- D&O - See separate authority.
- Limits greater require the authority of the senior underwriting team.
- Referring to the Senior Business Development Manager or Senior Technical Underwriter outside the authority limits as attached for Scriptor business or with claims paid and outstanding in the past 5 years over £100,000 or any case which you feel is unusual or unlike other accounts in our portfolio. You are also required to obtain the authority of the Assistant General Manager before undertaking any extension of our targeted business areas or lines of business described in our annual plan.
- Underwriting individual risk accounts. Drafting policy schedules, wordings, and other documents, assisting with the processing of the business and the monitoring of renewals.
- Referring to Senior Business Development Manager or Senior Technical Underwriter any firm with overseas fee income.
- Maintaining service levels, in line with non-financial measurements and Professional Risks Ltd specific service levels.
- Ensure adherence to our ISO, Sarbanes Oxley and general Quality Policy and Procedures.
- Your charter is for customers domiciled in the UK. Any non-UK domiciled account must be referred to the Underwriting Manager or Assistant General Manager.
- Drafting policy schedules, wordings, and other documents, assisting with the processing of the business and the monitoring of renewals.
- Liaise with risk management/surveyors to provide quality services internally and externally.
- Assist in the collation and preparation of management reports for major accounts.
- Excellent communication.
- You are expected to use Company coverage forms and relatively traditional policy and structures. Deviation from this is possible and may be encouraged to serve customer needs. However, for the purpose of communication and consistency it does require reference to the Underwriting Manager or Assistant General Manager prior to commitment.
- Research areas as directed by the Senior Business Development Manager or Senior Technical Underwriter.
- Ensure adherence to our ISO 9001 Quality Policy and Procedures.
- Represent the company externally and maintain contact with brokers/customers/suppliers and anyone else connected with your business.
- Dealing with mid-term policy amendments, general queries, endorsements and other correspondence.
- Receiving and resolving referrals made to the department from other business units.
- Any other reasonable duties which may be requested.
Travelers offers a wide range of career opportunities in North America and Europe.
Click on a link below to explore our current openings and discover a career at Travelers.