Report a Claim

or call 1.800.Claim33

Check Claim Status

Find Claim Services

Roadside Assistance

Commercial Property Claims

Has your business or business property sustained damage? We’re here to help.

Regardless of the cause of damage to your business, we’re ready to assist you. Please contact us as soon as possible to report your commercial property claim. We're here to walk you through the steps you should take to protect your business and get you on the path to recovery.

In addition, we’re committed to helping you prevent future property damage. Visit our Prepare & Prevent website to access valuable information about loss prevention and damage mitigation.

Guiding you through the claim process

Essential steps to follow if your property has been damaged

  • Report your claim anytime to Travelers online or by calling 1.800.238.6225. The sooner you report, the sooner we can help.
  • When making any necessary temporary repairs, be sure to always save your receipts. Your Travelers Claim professional may ask you to provide them for reimbursement purposes.
  • Be sure to separate your damaged property (such as inventory or stock) from your undamaged property.
  • If your business has sustained extensive damage, do not go back inside until cleared to do so by emergency personnel or town officials, even if the damage is confined to one room.
  • In cases where your business and personal property have been destroyed, please do not risk injury by walking through the debris.
  • If you have Business Income coverage, it may provide protection against certain financial losses that are sustained if your business is unable to operate. Learn more about Business Income coverage.
  • Notify your landlord of the loss as soon as possible if you rent or lease the property. You may be asked to provide copies of:
    • Any lease/rental agreements
    • Any pre-loss inventories
    • Receipts for any recent improvements made to the property
    • Any reports describing the loss
    • Any other documents relevant to your claim

I just reported my commercial property claim. What can I expect to happen next?

Your Travelers Claim professional will contact you shortly to walk you through the claim process, evaluate your coverage, and assess the damage to your business or business property. We want to resolve your claim as quickly as possible. If you have questions or concerns at any point during the claim process, contact your Travelers Claim professional directly.

What if this loss affects my business operations?

You should discuss your operations and any contingency plans with your Travelers Claim professional as soon as possible. Your Claim professional may be able to provide guidance and assistance to help you get your operation back up and running as soon as possible.

Who is responsible for the cost of repairing the damage to the building if I am a tenant?

Generally, if you are a tenant your lease/rental agreement governs who is responsible for the cost to repair the damage to the building and for any betterments or improvements made to your rental space. Your Travelers Claim professional will review your lease/rental agreement and discuss it with you.

How do you determine the value of my damages?

Depending on the type of damage, your Travelers Claim professional may need to schedule a time to inspect your building to determine what needs to be repaired or replaced.

If your personal property, also known as contents, has been damaged or destroyed, your Travelers Claim professional will work with you to complete an inventory of the property.

Your contents inventory will be used to develop an estimate for the Actual Cash Value (ACV) and Replacement Cost Value (RCV) of your damaged property.

RCV is the estimated cost of repairing a damaged item or replacing a damaged item with a similar one. ACV is the estimated value of the item or damage at the time of the loss. Generally, ACV is calculated as RCV minus depreciation.

Your estimate will also include other information such as tax and the amount of depreciation, if any. Refer to our guide to understanding your property estimate to help you navigate the estimate’s sections. Still have questions? Contact your Travelers Claim professional.

If repairs are necessary, you may choose to make the repairs yourself. If you choose to hire a contractor, you are free to hire the contractor of your choice. We encourage you to check references before hiring anyone. Be sure your contractor is insured and bonded. It is possible that once a contractor begins working, he or she may discover a need for repairs beyond those originally addressed. If this occurs, please have your contractor contact your Claim professional before conducting further repairs. We will work with your contactor so that repairs can continue with little to no interruption.

Who will be listed as payees on any checks provided to me?

If your policy has additional named insureds or loss payees, they will be listed on your check. If you have a mortgage (or other similar lien) on your property, the mortgage company (or lienholder) has a financial interest in your property. Your insurance policy requires us to protect their interest by including them on any payments made to you for damage to your buildings or other structures. Your mortgage company may require you to provide documentation confirming that repairs have been made before endorsing these payments to you, or it may wish to hold the payments in escrow until repairs have been completed. Each mortgage company has its own requirements, and it may take time for you to complete these requirements. To minimize any potential delays, you should contact your mortgage company as soon as possible regarding their requirements.

I've been told Travelers may need to subrogate my claim. What does the term "subrogation" mean, and how does it affect me?

Occasionally, another person may be responsible for the damage to your property. If so, Travelers may seek reimbursement from that other person or that person’s insurance carrier. Travelers’ pursuit of reimbursement is referred to as “subrogation.” We may need your cooperation with this effort. If there is a recovery, you may receive reimbursement for some or all of your deductible.

A man in a meeting holding a pen.

Your Guide to Business Income Coverage

Learn more
A man and a woman at a desk looking at a tablet device.

How Coinsurance is Calculated

Learn more