Homeowner Water Mitigation Guidance
Use the helpful tips and guidance on losses involving catastrophic weather events. You should take proactive measures to protect your property from further damage.
Below are some examples of guidance for water damage.
- Make a list, take photo(s) and/or video of damage prior to clean-up, if feasible.
- Please protect your property from any further damage.
- Please save all your emergency repair/expense receipts.
- If safe to do so and feasible, clean up any standing water or wet carpets. If necessary, contact a professional cleaning service.
- It is important for your Claim professional to view what may have caused the loss or damage.
- Take photos of damaged personal property.
- Create an inventory of all damaged items to include, make, model, brand, age, and condition.
- Clean items that are salvageable (e.g., clothing, linens, hard goods) as soon as possible.
- Prevent the growth of mold by drying or removing wet items from the home.
- Do not dispose of any damaged property unless you speak to a Claim professional.
If mold is present
- Contact a professional mold remediation vendor.
- Contact your Claim professional with any questions on additional living expenses.
- Protect your property from further damage.
- Do not make any permanent repairs until you speak to your Claim professional.