Stay safe while staying warm by your fireplace

When the colder temperatures start to set in, many homeowners will turn to their fireplace, wood or pellet stoves as an additional heat source. While these heating tools can provide warmth and comfort, if you are not careful, they can also be a hazard.

Before you light the first fire of the season, be sure your fireplace and chimney are clean and have been checked for safety. Keep in mind the following precautions to help ensure a safe winter season.

Keep your fireplaces and wood stoves clean

  • Have your chimney, fireplace, wood or pellet stove inspected and cleaned by a licensed chimney specialist. They should be maintained annually to help ensure they are functioning safely and efficiently. 
  • If you have a wood burning, insert or pellet stove, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for additional guidance related to operation and venting.
  • Be sure to keep the area around the hearth clear of debris, decorations and any other combustible materials.


Keep fires burning safely

  • Be sure the flue is open before lighting your fire to help ensure the fireplace will vent properly. Do not close your damper until you are sure the fire is out.
  • When starting a fire, only use a match or commercial firelighter. Never use flammable liquids to start a fire.
  • Glass doors of a fireplace should be kept open while burning a fire. This allows the fires to receive enough air to complete combustion and help reduce creosote build-up in the chimney. Metal mesh screens should remain closed whenever the glass doors are open or if your fireplace does not have glass doors in order to help keep embers in the fireplace.
  • Never restrict air supply to fireplaces as this can cause incomplete combustion, increased creosote build-up, and increase the risk of a chimney fire.
  • Only use dry wood in your fireplace. Wet wood can increase creosote buildup that can lead to chimney fires.
  • Do not burn plastic because it can release toxic chemicals as well as cause damage to your chimney, fireplace or wood stove.
  • Never burn a Christmas tree in your fireplace as the sparks from the burning needles can increase the risk for a chimney fire. Also, do not burn cardboard boxes, wrapping paper or trash in your fireplace.
  • Never leave a fire in a fireplace unattended. Before leaving the house or going to bed, you should make certain to fully extinguish the fire.
  • Allow ashes to cool completely before disposing of them, and never empty them directly into a trash can. Place ashes in a covered metal container located at least 10 feet* away from your home and any other building.


Keep the outside of your home and your chimney safe

  • Firewood should be stacked at least 30 feet* away from your home.
  • Your roof and chimney should be kept clean of leaves, pine needles and other debris. Prune trees and branches to keep well-away from your chimney.
  • Install a chimney cap with spark arrester to help keep debris, leaves, branches and animals out, and to help prevent burning embers or sparks from escaping and creating a fire hazard.


Keep the inside of your home safe with smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
To help make your winter even safer, we recommend that you take the time to test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. A smoke detector is the most effective way to detect smoke from a fire and signal an alarm so that you can get you and your family out safely. A carbon monoxide detector can alert you to the buildup of this dangerous odorless and colorless gas. Make sure you test the detectors monthly, and after you change the batteries to ensure they work properly.

How to help prevent household fires

Learn about the common causes >

Exposure to carbon monoxide can be dangerous

Take steps to help keep your family safe >

©  The Travelers Indemnity Company. All rights reserved.
Connect with usFacebook Twitter YouTube Linkedin