Spring ahead with these home maintenance tips.
Spring cleaning and spring maintenance tips go hand in hand. Take a cue from the tips below and spruce up your gutters as you spruce up your rose garden.
- Inspect your smoke detectors, and make sure that there is one on each floor of your home. Test them monthly, and change the batteries annually or as needed.
- Check the light bulbs in all your fixtures to be sure they are the correct wattage as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Replace all high-intensity bulbs (such as incandescent) with fluorescent bulbs that do not produce as much heat.
- Check your electrical outlets for potential fire hazards such as frayed wires or loose-fitting plugs. Be sure not to overload electrical outlets, fuse boxes, extension cords or any other power service.
- Keep a multi-purpose fire extinguisher accessible, filled and ready for operation.
- Have your air conditioning system inspected by a professional as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Check for damage to your roof, and clean gutters and downspouts to keep debris from accumulating.
- Check water heater for leaks and corrosion.
- Clean or replace your furnace filter.
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct and space under the dryer. Remove all lint, dust, and pieces of material.
- Remove all dead trees in your yard, and keep healthy trees and bushes trimmed and away from utility wires.
- Safely store oil and gas for lawn equipment and tools in a vented, locked area.
- Repair cracked, broken or uneven driveways and walkways to provide a level walking surface.