Protect your friends and family as you beat the heat.
Summer means more outdoor activities for the whole family, including cooling off in the pool. We want to help make sure that you, your family and guests are safe. Here are a few tips that can help you stay safe while you have fun:
- Maintain secure fencing and a locked entrance around the pool and deck area to prevent access when adequate supervision is not available.
- Make sure there is adequate lifesaving equipment in the pool area, including life preservers and a rescue hook.
- Keep chemicals safely stored away from the pool area. Follow all storage and usage instructions recommended by the manufacturer.
- Never leave a child unattended in the water or pool area.
- Inspect the liner periodically. Rips and tears can appear undetected at the top of the lining.
- Check for signs of wear and tear in areas where pipes or other items may have penetrated the liner (e.g., skimmers, hoses, etc.).
- For above ground pools, check metal supports for rust or deterioration. These may indicate areas where the pool could rupture or a person could be injured.
- Check the deck for safety hazards (e.g., protruding nails, loose boards, etc.).
- Keep your pool maintained and seasonably prepped. Be sure to lower the water level and keep the pool covered in the winter months.
- Install an audible pool alarm to alert you if someone falls into the pool while it is unattended.