Privacy & Security
Privacy Statement for Consumers
Privacy Statement for Individual U.S. Personal Insurance Consumers
Revised August 13, 2017
Your privacy is important to us. When we quote or sell an insurance policy to a person, we get information about the people and property that we’re insuring. This Privacy Notice describes the types of information about you (“personal information”) we collect, where we get it, and how we use, share and protect it. It applies to current and former Travelers personal insurance customers in the United States.
A few key points include:
- We collect personal information from you, your agent, and from third parties
- We will not share your personal information with others for their marketing purposes without your permission
- We maintain safeguards designed to help prevent unauthorized use, access and disclosure of personal information
You give us most of what we need in the application process. To make sure what we have is correct, or to obtain additional information, we may need to check back with you. For example, you may be asked to give us more details in writing, via e-mail or over the phone. In addition, we may obtain other information, including but not limited to the following:
- Information from consumer reporting agencies and other insurance support organizations to the extent permitted by law. This may include items such as credit history, credit-based insurance score, driving record, accident and motor vehicle conviction history, and claim history. Information given to us by an insurance support organization, including consumer reporting agencies, may be retained by them and disclosed to others.
- Your past insurance history, including information about your policies and claims, from insurance support organizations or your former insurers.
- Information regarding your property. We may obtain this through third party reports and through a property inspection. We or an independent inspector may visit the property to inspect its condition, or we may use an unmanned aircraft system. We may obtain geospatial information, and take pictures or video. If we need more details about the property, we may need to schedule an interior inspection.
- Information from government agencies or independent reporting companies.
- Other third party data relating to the insured risk, such as possible drivers and vehicles associated with your household and odometer readings associated with any vehicle(s).
- In some instances, we may need to know about your health. For example, if we need to know whether a physical limitation will affect your ability to drive, we may ask for a statement from your doctor.
We use the personal information we collect to sell, underwrite and rate, service and administer insurance; to handle claims; to create and market products and services; to prevent and detect fraud; to satisfy legal or regulatory requirements; and for other business purposes and as otherwise allowed by law.
Once you’re insured with us, we will retain details about your policy(ies). This may include, among other things, bill payment, transaction or claim history and details, as well as other information.
When you give us a telephone number, you consent to being contacted at that number, including if the number is for a cell phone or other wireless device. We may contact you in person, by recorded message, by the use of automated dialing equipment, by text (SMS) message, or by any other means your device is capable of receiving, to the extent permitted by law and for reasonable business purposes, including to service your policy or alert you to other relevant information.
We do not give or sell your personal information to nonaffiliated third parties for their own marketing purposes without your prior consent.
We may give the personal information we collect to others to help us conduct, manage or service our business. When we do, we require them to use it only for the reasons we gave it to them. We may give, without your past permission and to the extent permitted by law, personal information about you to certain persons or organizations such as: your agent or insurance representative; our affiliated property and casualty insurance companies; independent claim adjusters or investigators; persons or organizations that conduct research; insurance support organizations (including consumer reporting agencies); third party service providers; another insurer; law enforcement; state insurance departments or other governmental or regulatory agencies; or as otherwise required or permitted by law. Information we share with insurance support organizations, such as your claims history, may be retained by them and disclosed to others
We may also share your personal information: to comply with legal process; to address suspected fraud or other illegal activities; or to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others.
We maintain physical, electronic and administrative safeguards designed to help protect personal information. For example, we limit access to personal information and require those who have access to use it only for legitimate business purposes.
If you have questions about what personal information we maintain about you, please make your request in writing and include your full name, mailing address, phone number and policy number. When we receive your written request, we will respond within thirty (30) business days. We will describe the personal information we maintain, whom we know we’ve shared it with in the last two (2) years, and how you may request a correction, if necessary. If we requested a consumer report, we will tell you the name and address of the consumer reporting agency.
You may also see and copy the information we have, except for certain documents about claims and lawsuits. If you believe our information is incorrect, let us know in writing. We will review it, and, if we agree, we will correct it, notify you, and send a correction letter to anyone who received the original information. If we do not agree, you are allowed to file a letter with your comments.
For questions about the right of access or correction to your information, please write to: Travelers, One Tower Square, Hartford, CT 06183, Attn: Privacy Office.
This notice is given by The Travelers Indemnity Company and its personal insurance property casualty affiliates.
This notice may be amended at any time. The most current version will be posted on Travelers.com.
A statement concerning our use of Insurance Score is available on request for Oregon residents.