Privacy & Security
Online Privacy Statement
Online Privacy Statement
Revised June 19, 2023
The Travelers Indemnity Company and its affiliates ("Travelers") value your privacy. This Online Privacy Statement will inform you about how we use and disclose information that we and our service providers collect from your visits to travelers.com and other websites owned or operated by us (the “Websites”), through the software applications made available by us for use on or through computers and mobile devices (the “Apps”), through use of social media pages that we control (“Social Media Pages”), and through email messages that we send to you (collectively, including the Websites, the Apps, and our Social Media Pages, the “Services”).
This Online Privacy Statement only applies to information collected through the Services. If you have purchased or applied for an insurance product from us, please also see our Privacy Statement for Individual U.S. Personal Insurance Consumers, which applies to the information that we collect about policyholders and applicants, through the Services as well as any other medium. Travelers does business in a number of different jurisdictions. Additional Privacy Statements may apply depending on your jurisdiction or customer relationship.
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual. Personal Information may in certain circumstances include such information as name, address, phone number, email address, credit history, social security number, driver’s license number, credit or debit card number, policy or claim information, automobile and home information, health information, username and passwords for online accounts, telematics, and geolocation data. If you apply for a job or register with our career center, Personal Information may, in certain circumstances, also include information about your work and educational history, and other information you choose to provide in connection with your application.
If you submit any Personal Information relating to other people to us or to our service providers, you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this Online Privacy Statement.
We may use Personal Information:
- To provide a quote, underwrite and rate policies, respond to your inquiries, fulfill your requests, and complete your transactions
- To process claims
- To service your insurance
- To confirm or correct what we know about you
- To help us prevent fraud and other crimes
- To investigate security incidents
- To provide location-based services, such as roadside assistance.
- To record telematics and trip information through the IntelliDrive® mobile application, if you participate in our voluntary telematics programs. The IntelliDrive® mobile application captures data about your driving behaviors, including but not limited to the following: your location, information about your speed, braking, acceleration, time of day, phone use and other information regarding the status of your mobile device. We also collect information about your use of the IntelliDrive® mobile application including frequency of use, the screens you have viewed, performance data and other activity.
- To comply with applicable laws
- To perform research or send you surveys
- To send you information that we believe may be of interest to you
- To personalize your experience on the Services
- To facilitate social sharing functionality
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose Personal Information, so we suggest that you read these rules carefully.
- To allow you to send messages to a friend through the Services. By using this functionality, you are telling us that you are entitled to use and provide us with your friend’s name and email address.
- To inform you of job opportunities and to evaluate your suitability for a job
- To contact you at a telephone number you provide to us, including if the number is for a cell phone or other wireless device. We may contact you in person, by recorded message, by the use of automated dialing equipment, by text (SMS) message, or by any other means of communication your device is capable of receiving, as allowed by law and for reasonable business purposes, including to service your policy with us.
- For our business purposes.
- As otherwise allowed by law.
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- Within the Travelers family of companies
- To third parties to help us manage or service our business. These third parties can include but are not limited to agents or brokers, other insurance companies, regulators, administrators, and service providers that provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, information technology and related infrastructure provision, email delivery and other services.
- To insurance support organizations and consumer reporting agencies. Information that we share with these organizations, such as your claims history, may be retained by them and disclosed to others.
- To third parties so that they can market their products and services to you, if you have given us permission.
- By you, on message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and materials (including, without limitation, our Social Media Pages). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public information and may be available to users of the Services and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, on the Services.
- To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings)
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; (g) to detect and prevent fraud; and (h) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain
- As otherwise allowed by law
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual, such as:
- IP address
- Browser and device information
- App usage data
- General geolocation
- Demographic information
- Information regarding your use and navigation of our Services, including information reflecting your activity on our Services such as clicks on pages, page and video views, time spent on pages, scrolling, and other actions taken while using our Services.
We and our third party partners may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Services (such as an App) you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
- Through your use of the App: When you download and use an App, we and our service providers and third party partners may track and collect App usage data, such as the date and time the App on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the App based on your device number.
We may combine information collected through tracking technologies with other information we obtain about you, which may include data we obtain from external parties. Tracking technologies may allow us and external parties to collect personal information about your online activities over time and across different online services when you use our Services.
- General Geolocation: We may collect the general geolocation of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or WiFi signals. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content. We may also share your device’s physical location, combined with information about what advertisements you viewed and other information we collect, with our marketing partners to enable them to provide you with more personalized content and to study the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. In some instances, you may be permitted to allow or deny such uses and/or sharing of your device’s location, but if you choose to deny such uses and/or sharing, we and/or our marketing partners may not be able to provide you with the applicable personalized services and content.
Please note that we may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use it as described in “How We May Collect Other Information” section above, as well as for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information.
This Online Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any site or service to which the Services link. The inclusion of a link on the Services does not imply endorsement of the linked site or service by us.
The Website provides you a tracking technology management tool that allows you to change your preferences as to some of the tracking technologies that are enabled on the Website. For more information, refer to the “” tool provided to you through the Website.
In addition, here is more information on how you may take steps to manage your preferences regarding tracking technologies using tools that we do not provide:
- Browser Settings. You can manage certain tracking technologies through your browser, including by clearing your browser cache history, or by changing your browser’s “Do Not Track” setting, if available.
- Self-Regulatory Advertising Organizations. Some of the vendors that perform advertising-related services on our behalf may participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance’s (DAA) Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising. To learn more about how you can exercise certain choices regarding interest-based ads, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices and http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices if you are located in the U.S., or https://youradchoices.ca/en/tools if you are in Canada. Some of these vendors may also be members of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI). To learn more about the NAI and opt-out options for their members, see http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices or networkadvertising.org/mobile-choice.
Please be aware that even if you are able to opt out of certain kinds of targeted advertising or tracking technologies through these tools, you may continue to receive other types of advertising, including advertising not tailored to your interest or advertising in other contexts.
Removing or blocking tracking technologies can impact your user experience and some functionality may no longer be available. These choices may be browser or device-specific, so if you use more than one browser or device, it may be necessary to make these choices in each of them to ensure your preferences are accounted.
The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we request that these individuals do not provide Personal Information through the Services.
The Services are maintained by us in the United States, and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States.
We seek to use reasonable physical, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us at Travelers Consumer Affairs, One Tower Square, Hartford, CT 06183, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Travelers seeks to protect the confidentiality of social security numbers (SSNs) by maintaining physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards. We limit access to SSNs to help protect against their loss, misuse or unlawful disclosure. We do not disclose SSNs to third parties except where required or permitted by law.
We may change this Online Privacy Statement at any time. Please take a look at the “Revised” legend at the top of this page to see the date of the last revision. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Online Privacy Statement on the Services. Your use of the Services following these changes means that you accept the revised Online Privacy Statement.