What to Expect After Filing Your Property Claim
1. Your Claim professional will contact you to discuss your claim
After you file a claim, your Claim professional will contact you to discuss the facts, your policy information, ways to further protect your property from additional damages and the next steps. Your Claim professional may also suggest you register for MyTravelers an online customer portal which allows you to communicate with your Claim team through secure messaging, view claim milestones, see payment details and share documents.
2. We will evaluate the damage to your property
Your Claim professional will work with you to determine which method of inspection is best based on the nature and severity of your loss:
- Interior Video Inspection – We may be able to complete your damage evaluation via video conferencing.
- Exterior Inspection App – We may ask you to download the app to your smartphone and take 8-10 photos of your property.
- On-Site Visit – If we feel it is necessary to visit your property, we will schedule a convenient time to meet with you to complete your damage evaluation and explain your repair estimate.
3. Receive your payment
If your loss is covered by your policy, we may issue a payment at the time of our visit or shortly after we provide an estimate. Please note that your deductible will be subtracted from this payment. Depending on the loss and who needs to be paid, we may be able pay you via one of our ePay options, which allows money to be deposited directly into your bank or PayPal account. If you agree to this method, we will email you a link to register.
If your mortgage company or lienholder must be added to the payment, it cannot be issued electronically, and you will be issued a paper check. If the payment includes your mortgage company, you should contact them as soon as possible regarding payment release requirements.
4. Have your property repaired
If you choose to hire a contractor confirm they are licensed and bonded. And be prepared to give the vendor a copy of your Travelers estimate. If repair costs more than our estimate, please contact your Claim professional. We will work with you to minimize potential interruptions to the repair process.
If you need help finding a contractor, you can ask your Claim professional or search our list of reputable service providers.
Still have questions? Contact your Travelers Claim professional.
Learn how to use the exterior inspection application for a property inspection.
If a covered hazard forces you out of your home, Travelers may compensate you for additional living expenses.
You may be wondering who is responsible if you experience a loss that originated from a common area such as a roof or was caused by another condo or co-op owner.