Diversity & Inclusion at Travelers
Creating a strong culture and greater success
Our greatest asset is our people. We recognize that building for the future also requires that we maintain our talent advantage. In that regard, diversity and inclusion is a business imperative for us. By creating a welcoming environment that brings together people with different backgrounds and perspectives, we enable new ideas, innovation and a culture in which employees feel valued, respected, supported and empowered.
Our efforts are aimed at attracting and retaining the best talent from the broadest pool of talent. We are committed to not only increasing diversity in our hiring at all levels but also fostering an inclusive environment where all employees can develop and thrive.
Our diversity and inclusion efforts are led by our Chief Diversity Officer and our Diversity Council, which is chaired by our CEO and includes 12 senior executives.
As part of our commitment to diversity, we aim to:
- Employ a diverse workforce to reflect the communities in which we do business. Travelers values the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognizes that we benefit in numerous ways from differences in culture, ethnicity, national origin, race, color, religion, gender, age, disability and sexual orientation.
- Foster an inclusive environment for all employees. We foster an inclusive work environment to allow all employees to reach their full potential.
- Provide learning and development opportunities to advance diverse leaders. We provide learning and development opportunities, including career planning and mentoring assistance, to help all employees prepare for advancement.
- Explore diverse markets today to tap into tomorrow’s opportunities. We are dedicated to creating a pipeline of diverse candidates and have active talent acquisition strategies, including sourcing strategies and diverse slate requirements, to help us do so.
Our Commitment in Action
Inclusive Leadership Performance Objective
Recognizing that managers have a responsibility to help build an inclusive culture, an Inclusive Leadership objective is included in all managers’ annual performance objectives. The Inclusive Leadership objective is to purposefully foster a work environment where all employees are included and appreciated and to attract, retain, engage and develop employees from all cultures and backgrounds. We advance this objective through training, including Inclusive Leadership workshops.
Appreciating Differences Diversity Training
We require all employees—at all levels and in all functions—to participate in a dynamic, interactive diversity education program to gain a true appreciation of differences and better understand how to leverage differences for shared success.
We host a series of events for all employees called Diversity Speaks, designed to cultivate a culture that embraces the power of difference, where individuality is honored and diverse perspectives benefit all employees, customers, agents and the communities in which we work and live. The events feature employees and external guest speakers who share personal stories and provide different experiences and viewpoints.
“Alan [Schnitzer, Chairman and CEO of Travelers] called our CEO, John Rogers, and said he wanted a meeting. We manage money for you and assumed it was because you are our client. We sat down to talk about how well we have done and the tough years we’ve had. The whole ball of wax. Alan said, ‘No, I don’t want to talk about that. I want to talk about how you can help me do better and know more about diversity and business.’ I thought that was really quite unique. We haven’t had calls like that before. As the conversation unfolded, it became very clear that it was about true learnings, curiosity and effort.”
- Mellody Hobson, President of Ariel Investments and finance and market trend analyst for CBS News
Unconscious Bias Training
We educate our employees on unconscious bias as part of our Appreciating Differences Diversity Training, as well as through Diversity Speaks events and Inclusive Leadership workshops. By helping our employees begin to recognize, acknowledge and minimize potential blind spots with respect to unconscious biases, we believe we may spark more open and honest conversations.
In 2008, we created diversity networks - voluntary organizations led by employees dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. Open to all employees, the networks help foster the retention, development and success of our employees through networking, mentorship and community volunteer opportunities. Our diversity networks include:
- Asian Diversity Network
- Black/African American Diversity Network
- Disability Network
- Hispanic/Latino Diversity Network
- LGBT & Allies Diversity Network
- Military and Veterans Diversity Network
- Women’s Diversity Network
- Young Professionals Diversity Network
Membership across our diversity networks in the United States exceeded 10,000 in 2017.
Travelers Education Access Initiative
To ensure a qualified diverse workforce for tomorrow, Travelers contributes to a wide range of educational projects today. In 2007, we launched Travelers EDGE: Empowering Dreams for Graduation and Employment, a program designed to increase access to higher education for underrepresented students. The program is aimed at:
- Increasing the number of students from underrepresented communities attending college.
- Helping those underrepresented students graduate from college.
- Building awareness of careers in insurance and financial services among those underrepresented students.
As part of the Travelers EDGE program, we offer a combination of professional development and mentorship opportunities provided by employees, as well as internship opportunities to build awareness of careers at Travelers and within the industry.
In addition to other targeted recruiting practices, through this program, we seek to increase the number of historically underrepresented individuals at Travelers. Through 2017, over 460 students have been Travelers EDGE scholars.
Supporting Diverse Businesses
Travelers is committed to providing opportunities for qualified businesses owned by people of diverse backgrounds to participate as contractors or suppliers of products and services to our company.
Board of Directors Oversight
Our Board of Directors encourages diversity and inclusion within Travelers and oversees our company’s diversity and inclusion efforts. The Nominating and Governance Committee of the Board reviews our strategies to encourage and increase diversity within our company and oversees our progress. The Nominating and Governance Committee meets regularly with senior management, including our Chief Diversity Officer, to discuss our diversity and inclusion efforts and their results.
Recognized For Our Commitment
Travelers has been recognized for its inclusive culture by a number of organizations including:
- Noteworthy Company, DiversityInc, 2013-2018
- Best Place to Work for LGBT Equality and 100% score on Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index, Human Rights Campaign Foundation, 2016-2018
- Top Military Friendly Employer, G.I. Jobs, 2008-2018
- Best for Vets, Military Times, 2010-2011, 2014-2018