Public sector insurance services Public Entity Employment Practices Liability (EPL) insurance
Coverage for employment injury that is caused by discrimination, wrongful termination, harassment, retaliation, unfair discipline, wrongful hiring, supervision, demotion, failure to promote, misrepresentation, defamation, libel, slander, disparagement or invasion of privacy and breach of implied contract.
Many insurers address these exposures by offering employment-related practices coverage through a public officials liability (POL) policy. Frequently, this type of coverage proves to be inadequate, resulting in denied claims due to technicalities associated with the lawsuit wording. Further, many policies exclude coverage for wages (back and/or front pay), which is an integral part of any employment lawsuit. Employment related claims will also erode the coverage limits available to pay public official claims.
At Travelers, we have designed our primary EPL form so the EPL limit will be available solely for EPL claims. This keeps your policy limits in-synch with your exposures.
Key coverage features
- "Pay on behalf of" basis
- Damages include attorneys' fees of the person or organization bringing the claim when such fees are recoverable under the law violated by the employment practice offense
- Duty to defend claims and suits, including arbitration or other ADR proceedings that seek damages, as well as an administration proceeding conducted by a government agency (e.g. EEOC)
- Defense for claims or suits alleging criminal, malicious, dishonest or fraudulent conduct until determination or admission of such conduct in a legal proceeding
- Front and back wages covered if awarded as damages
- No exclusion for class action suits
- Call-in "hotline" number offered by Jackson Lewis Law Firm permitting companies it insures to ask questions about workplace concerns: 1-866-375-8728
- Non-employment sexual harassment coverage for third parties available by endorsement
Risk control services
- One-day EPL class that addresses employment issues specific to public entities and helps establish policies and procedures to avoid costly EPL litigation
- Workplace harassment training for supervisors
- Risk Management PLUS+ Online® (rmpluspss.com) which provides in-depth, detailed information specific to EPL issues and exposures
- EPL risk management guide
- Travelers has partnered with LocalGovU to provide web-based training for public sector entities.
For further information or to purchase Public Sector insurance products and services from Travelers, please contact an independent insurance agent or broker.
Travelers agents can visit Agent HQ SM for exclusive content. If you experience any difficulty logging in, please email email@example.com or call Agency Automation at 800.842.2522.
If you are interested in becoming a Travelers agent, please visit our Become an Agent page.