Report a Claim

or call 1.800.Claim33

Check Claim Status

Find Claim Services

Roadside Assistance

Homeowners Insurance Claims

Has your property sustained damage? We’re here to help.

Regardless of the cause of damage to your home, we’re ready to assist you. Please contact us as soon as possible to report your homeowners claim. When you call us, we will walk you through the steps you should take to protect your home and get you on the path to recovery.

In addition, we’re committed to helping you prevent future property damage. Visit our Prepare & Prevent website to access valuable information about loss prevention and damage mitigation.

Guiding you through the claim process

Essential steps to follow if your home or personal property has suffered any kind of damage.

  • Report your claim anytime to Travelers online or by calling 1.800.Claim33. The sooner you report, the sooner we can help.
  • When making any necessary temporary repairs and replacing your damaged items, be sure to always save your receipts. Your Travelers claim professional may ask you to provide them for reimbursement purposes.
  • If your residence has sustained any type of extensive damage, do not go back inside until cleared to do so by emergency personnel or town officials, even if you have had a small fire affecting only one room of your home.
  • In cases where your home and personal property have been destroyed, please do not risk injury by walking through the debris. If you cannot live in your destroyed home, additional living expense (ALE) may apply to you.

I just reported my homeowners claim. What can I expect to happen next?

Your Travelers claim professional will be contacting you shortly to walk you through the claim process, evaluate coverage, and assess the damages to your home or personal property. We want to resolve your claim as quickly as possible. If you have questions or concerns at any point during the claim process, contact your Travelers claim professional directly, or refer to our online library full of educational tools right here in our Claim Center.

How do you determine the cost for my damages?

Depending on the type of damage, your Travelers claim professional may need to schedule a time to inspect your home to determine what needs to be repaired or replaced.

If your personal property, or contents, have been damaged or destroyed, your Travelers claim professional will work with you to complete an inventory of the property.

This inspection and your contents inventory will be used to develop an estimate for the ACV and the RCV of your damaged property.

Replacement cost value (RCV) is the estimated cost of repairing a damaged item or replacing a damaged item with a similar one. Actual cash value (ACV) is the estimated value of the item or damage at the time of the loss. Generally, ACV is calculated as RCV minus depreciation.

The estimate will also include other information such as tax and the amount of depreciation, if any. Refer to our guide to understanding your property estimate to help you navigate the estimate’s sections. Still have questions? Your Travelers claim professional will be able to explain any aspects that may be confusing to you about the estimate; just ask!

If repairs are necessary, you may choose to make the repairs yourself. If you chose to hire a contractor, you are free to hire the contractor of your choice. We encourage you to check references before hiring anyone. Be sure your contractor is insured and bonded. It is possible that once a contractor begins working, he or she may discover a need for repairs beyond those originally addressed. If this occurs, please have your contractor contact your claim professional before conducting further repairs. We will work with your contactor so that repairs can continue with little to no interruption.

My check is made out to me and my mortgage company. Why is that and what should I do to ensure I receive my money?

If you have a mortgage (or other similar lien) on your property, the mortgage company (or lien holder) has a financial interest in your property. Your insurance policy requires us to protect their interest by including them on any payments made to you for damage to your home or other structures. Your mortgage company may require you to provide documentation confirming that repairs have been made before endorsing these payments to you, or it may wish to hold the payments in escrow until repairs have been completed. Each mortgage company has its own requirements, and it may take time for you to complete these requirements. To minimize any potential delays, you should contact your mortgage company as soon as possible to determine what steps you need to take before they can endorse the check and release the payment to you. Their contact information should be located on your monthly mortgage statement or payment book.

I've been told Travelers may need to subrogate my claim. What does the term "subrogation" mean, and how does it affect me?

Occasionally, another person may be responsible for the damage to your property. If so, Travelers may seek reimbursement from that other person or that person’s insurance carrier. Travelers’ pursuit of reimbursement is referred to as “subrogation.” We may need your cooperation with this effort. If there is a recovery, you may receive reimbursement for some or all of your deductible.

A couple looking at each other on the balcony of their condo.

Are you a condo or co-op owner?

There may be additional steps to take
Woman looking at computer monitor.

Your guide to understanding depreciation

Learn more