Public Entity Employment Practices Liability
Employment practices liability insurance provides coverage for employment loss that is caused by discrimination, wrongful termination, harassment, retaliation, unfair discipline, wrongful hiring, supervision, demotion, failure to promote, misrepresentation, defamation, libel, slander, disparagement or invasion of privacy.
Many insurers address these exposures by offering employment practices liability coverage through a Public Officials Liability (POL) policy, which provides coverage for both public entity management liability claims and employment practices liability claims. At Travelers, we offer stand-alone employment practices liability coverage so payment of employment-related claims will not erode the limits available for public entity management liability claims. Further, many policies exclude coverage for wages (back pay and front pay), which are often an integral part of an employment-related lawsuit.
Key Coverage Features:
- "Pay on behalf of" basis (deductible options only)
- Damages include attorneys' fees of the person or organization making a claim or bringing a suit when such fees are awarded, or paid in a settlement, for covered employment loss
- Duty to defend claims and suits that seek damages, including arbitration proceedings or other ADR (alternative dispute resolution) proceedings that seek damages. Duty to defend also applies to a governmental administrative proceeding seeking injunctive relief for employment loss, (e.g., Equal Employment Opportunity Commission)
- Defense for claims or suits alleging criminal, malicious, dishonest or fraudulent conduct until determination or admission of such conduct in a legal proceeding
- Coverage for front and back wages if awarded as damages for covered employment loss
- No exclusion for class action suits
- Call-in "hotline" number offered by Jackson Lewis Law Firm permitting public entities it insures to ask questions about workplace concerns
Find an Agent
Need an Agent?
Get the personal service and attention that an agent provides.
Find a local agent in your area: