Law Enforcement Liability Insurance
Law enforcement liability insurance provides coverage for bodily injury, personal injury or property damage caused by a wrongful act committed by or on behalf of a public entity while conducting law enforcement activities or operations.
Law enforcement activities or operations consist of any of the official activities or operations of the named insured's police department, sheriff agency or other public safety organization, other than a fire district or department, that enforces the law and protects persons or property, including:
- Ownership, maintenance or use of a premises in order to conduct law enforcement activities or operations, including ownership or operation of the named insured's jails, penal institutions or similar facilities
- Providing first aid at the time of an accident, crime or medical emergency
- Moonlighting (if approved by the named insured's police department, sheriff agency or other public safety organization)
Key Coverage Features:
- "Pay on behalf of" basis (deductible options only)
- Coverage for official activities or operations (includes moonlighting if approved by law enforcement agency)
- Coverage for violation of civil rights under any federal, state or local law
- Up to $25,000 additional payment per policy period for physical damage to personal property of others that is in a person's possession at the time of arrest and that is in an insured's care, custody and control at time of such damage
- Coverage for liability arising out of providing or failing to provide first-aid
- Coverage for jail operations and premises
- Automatic coverage for owned and non-owned watercraft
- Defense for claims or suits alleging criminal, malicious, dishonest, or fraudulent wrongful act until determination or admission of such wrongful act in a legal proceeding
- Defense expenses are paid outside of, and are in addition to, the limits of insurance
- No intentional acts exclusion
- Coverage for pure mental anguish
- Occurrence and claims-made coverage forms are available
Umbrella excess protection
Limits, Deductibles and Self-insured Retentions:
- Each wrongful act limit
- Aggregate limit for all damages because of all bodily injury, property damage and personal injury
- Aggregate limit can only be reduced by the payment of damages, not defense expenses
- Deductible applies to damages, defense expenses and personal property of others
Self-insured retention options are available
This Coverage is Specifically Designed to Help Protect:
Find an Agent
Need an Agent?
Get the personal service and attention that an agent provides.
Find a local agent in your area:
We have one of the largest Risk Control departments in the industry, and our scale allows us to apply the right resource at the right time to meet customer needs.
Our knowledgeable Claim professionals will respond to your needs with speed, compassion, integrity and professionalism. It's our business to help keep you in business.