Information You May Need for a Homeowners Insurance Quote
Getting a homeowners quote can only take a few minutes when you have all of your information at hand. Knowing the details of your house, including what kind of safety features you have installed, may help you qualify for money-saving discounts and help ensure that you choose the coverage that meets your needs.
There can be more questions involved in getting a homeowners quote than a car insurance quote, so it can be helpful to gather your paperwork and be ready to answer specific questions about your home in advance. Here’s a checklist to help you get started.
1. Who lives at your house? You may be asked for contact information about you and anyone else who lives at your house, how long you’ve lived there, your marital status, whether you run a business from the home and whether you own a dog or any pets.
2. What’s your insurance history? It’s good to be ready with details about your existing coverage, if your home is already covered by homeowners insurance. Do you have a mortgage on the home? Are there any prior insurance claims? How much would it cost you to rebuild your home?
Travelers Insurance helps you get coverage that meets your needs and budget, and when you need us most, our Claim professionals will help with empathy and compassion.
3. What’s your house like? You’ll likely be asked a series of questions, including the year your house was built, the type and age of the roof, the style of the home, its exterior finish and whether or not you have a garage. You’ll also probably want to know the square footage of your home and may be asked for details on the number of bathrooms or fireplaces. This information helps determine the cost to rebuild your home and may help with determining the amount of coverage that fits your needs.
4. What improvements have you made? If you have made upgrades to your home since you bought it, such as replacing the roof, installing a central air system, finishing your basement, remodeling a kitchen or other updates that increase the value of your home, your existing homeowners policy may not reflect the current value and replacement cost of your home.
5. What kind of safety devices do you have? If you have certain safety devices, including smart or connected home technology, a security system or fire sprinklers, you may qualify for a discount on your insurance.
Having all of this information ready to go can make it easier for you to get a quote and can help you get coverage to protect you and your family that fits your needs.
Learn more about Travelers homeowners insurance products, or if you’re ready to take the next step, click here to get a quote or find an agent.
More Prepare & Prevent
Is Your Home Insured to Its Replacement Cost?
If your home isn’t insured to its estimated replacement cost, your homeowners policy may not cover the full cost to rebuild.
5 Tips to Protect Your Possessions with Valuable Items Insurance Coverage
Help protect personal items that may have limited coverage amounts or no coverage under the homeowners, condo or renters insurance policy.
How the Home Insurance Claim Process Works
Owning a home can mean dealing with the unexpected. Knowing how the home insurance claim process works can help give you peace of mind.