9 Key Elements of a Data Security Policy [Infographic]
Employees play a role in helping to protect their company’s data. What are the obligations and expectations for employees? Know the essentials of the data security policy, and what’s expected of employees when they interact with that data. And know the key elements of an effective data security policy.
Download as PDF
9 KEY ELEMENTS OF A DATA SECURITY POLICY
- Safeguard data privacy. Employee and customer data should be kept confidential and secure.
- Establish password management. Your policy should cover all employees plus temporary workers. Passwords should never be shared, and password complexity standards should be established.
- Govern Internet usage. Balance your need for employee productivity with restrictions based on your security concerns.
- Manage email usage. Email is a favorite way for hackers to steal information. Set clear standards for message content, encryption and file retention.
- Govern and manage company-owned mobile devices. Implement a formal process. At a minimum, require employees to protect their devices from theft and establish password protection.
- Establish an approval process for employee-owned mobile devices. Employees who have access to company information via their personal devices accept the limitations and controls imposed by the company.
- Govern social media. Active governance can help make sure employees speak within company guidelines and follow data privacy best practices.
- Oversee software copyright and licensing. Adhere to the terms of software usage agreements and employees should be made aware of any usage restrictions.
- Report security incidents. All employees and contractors should know the procedure for reporting incidents of malware and what steps to take to help respond.
Share this infographic with your coworkers and associates to help them #HarnessRisk.
Visit travelers.com/resources/cyber-security for more cyber security tips for your business.
The Travelers Indemnity Company and its property casualty affiliates. One Tower Square, Hartford, CT 06183
This material does not amend, or otherwise affect, the provisions or coverages of any insurance policy or bond issued by Travelers. It is not a representation that coverage does or does not exist for any particular claim or loss under any such policy or bond. Coverage depends on the facts and circumstances involved in the claim or loss, all applicable policy or bond provisions, and any applicable law. Availability of coverage referenced in this document can depend on underwriting qualifications and state regulations.
© 2017 The Travelers Indemnity Company. All rights reserved. Travelers and The Travelers Umbrella logo are registered trademarks of The Travelers Indemnity Company in the U.S. and other countries.
Want to Get More In-Depth Details?
Read the article