Ocean Marine Cargo Insurance
Damage to cargo is a common occurrence and can halt business operations. Cargo damage accounts for an astounding $800 million in claims.1 Damage can be due to rough handling, weather, improper loading or even atmospheric conditions. In 2014, 68% of the ocean cargo claims we saw were due to physical and water damage.2
If you are buying or selling goods overseas, it's important to have the right insurance company helping to protect your interests. Travelers provides insurance solutions for importers, exporters, manufacturers, commodities traders and freight forwarders. We aim to simplify the process and help guide business owners through the complex and often confusing process of importing and exporting.
Provides automatic, all-risk* coverage for international shipments of new merchandise transported by sea. Additional coverages automatically provided include concealed damage, shortage from container, control of damaged goods and consolidation.
Cargo Elite Express®
Available for businesses with up to $10 million of annual international shipments. Like Cargo Elite, Cargo Elite Express offers all risk* coverage. Cargo Elite Express also offers flat annual premiums and no reporting of shipments or sales.
Custom Cargo Coverage
Coverage tailored for cargo with unique shipping requirements such as chemicals, food products and pharmaceuticals.
*subject to certain exclusions and limitation
Who is this right for?
- Commodities Traders
- Freight Forwarders
Find an Agent
Need an Agent?
Get the personal service and attention that an agent provides.
Find a local agent in your area:
Related Products & Solutions
Insights & Expertise
Even experts in moving cargo can be surprised by responsibilities they didn't know they had. Learn the risks to stay ahead.
Travelers Ocean Marine Risk Control Specialists have valuable industry experience and can help customers identify ocean marine exposures and develop strategies to impact those exposures.
Some of our resources include:
- On-site consultation, conducted by professionals from a team of over 700 Risk Control Consultants, supported by dedicated marine specialists.
- A team approach with both customers and agents.
- Deploying the Travelers Special Investigations Group (SIG) that can work directly with clients in developing theft prevention and recovery strategies.
- Assisting customers with business continuity planning, using our online and on-demand resources to help minimize operational disruptions, should a loss occur.
- Assisting customers with business continuity planning tools, to help them identify critical areas for consideration and minimize operational disruptions, before a loss occurs.
Additionally, Travelers Ocean Marine Risk Control offers extended global services through a select network of marine surveyors.
Ocean marine customers have specialized needs and require high-quality claim services that complement their unique business requirements. Knowing this, Travelers has dedicated professionals specializing in cargo, hull and marine liability.
Our skillfully trained investigators help deliver optimal claim outcomes for our customers by actively pursuing avenues of recovery 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for all cargo and other specialty losses.