Excess Casualty Coverage and Insurance
Protecting your business is as important to us as it is to you—particularly when dealing with large losses beyond what your primary insurance can cover. Travelers provides an extra layer of protection with monoline umbrella and excess liability through our Travelers Excess Casualty unit. Dedicated underwriting, actuarial and claim teams leverage industry expertise and specialization to deliver a total cost of risk solution, providing peace of mind to our customers for their largest and most complex losses.
What Is Excess Liability Insurance?
Excess liability insurance is coverage provided for the big, unexpected events that can have potentially catastrophic results on your business – from auto accidents to products liability claims. Our expertise is rooted in a foundation of deep industry knowledge and a commitment to delivering customized insurance solutions based on the risks and challenges your business faces every day. Excess liability limits up to $25 million are available, and all excess liability coverage is backed by the financial strength and stability of Travelers. Whether you're looking for lead umbrella or excess liability coverage, you can count on Travelers to be there when you need us.
Who Is Excess Liability Coverage Right For?
Discover products by industry:
Tailor your Solution
What Excess Casualty and Commercial Umbrella Insurance Covers:
- Lead umbrella and excess liability coverage
- $25 million in capacity
- Coverage offered through our A/B Umbrella form
- Crisis management services expenses coverage automatically included in our A/B Umbrella form at no additional cost
- Ability to provide coverage on a worldwide basis
- Ability to provide umbrella/excess coverage of aircraft, foreign, personal umbrella liability; miscellaneous professional liability; and media liability for printers, publishers, broadcasters
- Most-favored jurisdiction endorsement – provides admitted coverage for punitive damages
- Ability to write admitted and non-admitted policies*
Excess Liability Insurance vs. Commercial Umbrella Insurance
What is the difference between umbrella insurance and excess liability insurance? The two coverages are often confused, but there are important distinctions between the two.
- Umbrella insurance provides higher coverage limits for your primary policies in addition to covering exposure gaps in those policies.
- Excess liability insurance serves as an extra layer of protection for losses in excess of your primary and umbrella policy limits but does not provide broader coverage beyond those underlying policies.
Having both commercial umbrella and excess liability coverage may be an important consideration for your organization’s risk management plan. Consult with your Travelers agent for details.
Related Products & Solutions
Insights & Expertise
Claim values in general liability cases are increasing, and social inflation is a major factor contributing to the rise.
Travelers helps protect against big, unexpected and potentially devastating events like the ones listed in The National Law Journal's Top 100 Verdicts.
Counterfeit parts can be costly and dangerous. Help protect your supply chain by watching out for these signs.
Learn about 6 trending facts contributing to today's catastrophic liability risks.
*Coverage is underwritten by Travelers Excess and Surplus Lines Company, a subsidiary of Travelers. Travelers Excess and Surplus Lines Company is a U.S.-based surplus lines insurer, and the information in this document is provided for general informational purposes and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation.