Business Income and Extra Expense for Small Businesses

Business income and extra expense insurance (BIEE) provides coverage when your business shuts down temporarily due to a fire or other covered loss. It helps replace your income and covered expenses like rent, payroll and other financial responsibilities while your property is being repaired or replaced. For most businesses, BIEE is either available as part of a primary business owner's policy (BOP) or it can be added. 

What is business income and extra expense insurance?

Business person smiling and carrying a red folder.

Find an insurance agent

Get coverage for your unique professional risks.

What is included in a business owner’s policy (BOP)? 

The broad protection of a Travelers business owner's policy includes BIEE plus: 

Commercial general liability insurance 
Shields your business from covered claims and lawsuits that stem from your everyday business operations. 

Commercial property insurance 
Helps protect the business property you own, lease or rent, including assets like your buildings, equipment, furniture, fixtures and inventory. 

Who is business income with extra expense BOP insurance right for? 

Travelers BOP is built to protect many types of small businesses. This includes but is not limited to: 

  • Commercial real estate 

  • Contractors 

  • Garages 

  • Manufacturers 

  • Printers and publishers 

  • Religious and cultural organizations 

  • Restaurant and food service 

  • Wholesalers and distributors 

Frequently asked questions about business income and extra expense coverage

Related products & solutions

Provide benefits to your employees and protect your business when a work-related injury occurs.

Travelers commercial auto & trucking insurance offers quality products to protect your business on the road.

Commercial umbrella and excess liability solutions can provide the extra protection you need for the big, unexpected events.

Unfortunately, mistakes can happen. Protect your business from liability risks resulting from professional services, advice or recommendations provided by your business.


Insights to help you manage risks at work and on the road

Related services

With more than a century of expertise and more than 500 Risk Control consultants, Travelers has the experience and technical proficiency to help businesses manage their risks. 

Our knowledgeable Claim professionals will respond to your needs with speed, compassion, integrity and professionalism. It's our business to help keep you in business.

Business person smiling and carrying a red folder.

Find an insurance agent

Get coverage for your unique professional risks.